Thursday, 15 August 2013

Challenges & Images

I've changed all the user permissions to Admin, so you should all be able to access/edit the pages for uploading.  Any more problems, just shout up.

Thanks kel for pointing that out!  Thanks also for pointing me to the place on Paper Playful where I can submit the new challenge information - I'll do that later today (or tomorrow if I run out of time - I have a short day today*!).

The public will be invited to join in the challenge each week and I'll be offering a prize each week.  Please tell me what you think: the prize could be random or could be on merit.  I like the idea of the prizewinner being selected, in which case we'd either need a selection team or just a rota - one person could do the selecting for that particular week - what do you think?  It would save a lot of work that way!  Or maybe a team of 2 or 3 selecting winners?  I think having the whole team decide each week is probably unnecessary and might lead to over-complicated discussions!

I also want to do a winner's button.  Let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas on that.

The only criteria for entering to win a prize is that they'd need to use a HH stamp in their work.

Looking forward to hearing what you think!  Thank you x

* short day: just so you all know, my parents are elderly (85 & 86) and rely on me quite a bit nowadays, so there are times when I need to take them somewhere or do things for them.  Dad has Alzheimer's and Mum's memory is not so fabulous either - she's currently being assessed by the memory clinic too.  We want to get them moved to accommodation where there's everything on-site: 12 minutes drive from my house (and 5 minutes from my sister's) is a retirement village with a fantastic social opportunities and care support available.  But at the moment they're a little isolated as they are over a mile from the nearest shop and the bus service has just been cut (and it's across a busy road, which Dad stands in the middle of to check Mum has got across safely, so they are much safer being driven about!).  So when I'm slow answering you, it may be just I'm taking them out for lunch, to one of their many appointments - or hopefully soon, buying furniture for their new apartment!  Thanks for your patience!!

7 comments:

Lynne Mizera said...

Dear Wendy, thank you AGAIN for getting me all sorted out - as you can see I can COMMENT again (smile)
and I am now totally active in the DT Blog. What a precious thing still having your parents in your life, although a lot of work I am sure! I promise to try to NOT hound you with requests. Bigger Smile.

About the Challenge Winners - I personally like challenge blogs with Chosen Winners since it actually means something to have been picked. One challenge DT I am on just has each member of that week's team choose our top three picks (or if fewer links just one) and let the numbers decide. Since we should be going into each linked blog and commenting each week anyway you actually do get to see each entry, and until the number of people participating starts to get quite large, it is a pretty quick exercise. Otherwise, I think your idea of each DT member being assigned a week to choose the winner an AWESOME idea! And maybe that person can do the commenting on blog links that week as well.

I think a blog button or blinky is a MUST for the winner, bragging rights and all that you know...smile. I think using an HH digi on your entry to qualify for a prize is quite reasonable, but does that mean only cards with HH digis will qualify for the button also? Just wondering.
So I'm done leaving my thoughts on the matter... Have a lovely time with your parents!



Deanne Stewart-Mills said...

I think it is lovely that your parents are so close to your place and that you are able to still do so much with them xx

Perhaps the team who did the image for the challenge choose the winners and do the commenting on the blog links?

Personally, I prefer a random generator (that way, everyone who enters has an equal chance, regardless of their skill at colouring or making cards - it becomes more about particiaption than being good at something) but I also see the merit in actually choosing a winner. I was on a DT where people got disheartened when the same people won month after month, because their work was so much more superior to everyone elses (there lots of "newbies" who lost heart).

A button/blinky for the winner and perhaps an "I was a finalist" button/blinky fot the other top 2?

kel Acopan said...

i think you should break up the commenting between the team members... there are 5 people on each team so we can take 2 numbers each for our assigned weeks.

i also agree with random generator for prize winner (filter out those that don't qualify first) and nominations (either individual or team) for top picks.

while winning a prize is awesome, it does mean something to be CHOSEN as a top pick based on your work.

and wonderful you for taking care of your parents... i know how hard it is. in addition to running my business and taking care of home, kids, husband, pets & volunteer work, i take care of my father during the day. he has parkinson's disease and has been having tougher days recently, not to mention his memory is starting to fail him.

alright, time to get off the computer and get the kiddos to bed. see you all tomorrow.

lovies, =o) kel

Wendy said...

Hmm...hadn't thought of the same person winning week after week - I can see that would be off putting to newbies. If we choose on merit, we would need to be careful of that.

Oh, kel, I hope your father's memory doesn't get worse. The one thing with my Dad is, even though his Alzheimer's is fairly advanced, he's quite happy & still has a sense of humour. He thinks he's only about 25 or 30 most days and still chats up young (and not so young!) ladies!!

Cherished said...

Thanks Wendy. I am playing catch up. We had a Family reunion this weekend. Getting kids ready for school.etc.. I like random generator wins. Winner and Top picks are always nice. Having 3 chances to be recognized. Prize and Blinky.

Family First. Completely understand. Your parents are lucky to have you.

fiction book reviews said...

I like the idea of a random winner and a top 3 - and every winner gets a winner's badge or a top 3 badge - the more 'badges' you have on peoples blogs the more your group gets seen.

I also think a 'sale' week or 2 might be a good idea too

A blog hop is also a good way to get followers to the group too and I LOVE blog hops .... lol

I hope your parents get to move into their new home and family always must come first, we all understand that x

fiction book reviews said...

OH and maybe some blog candy x